Nearly 30 illegal waste 'super sites' revealed in new government watchlist

5 hours ago 4

2 hours ago

Malcolm Priorrural affairs producer

Getty Images A huge mountain of waste sits among trees and by a field and overlooks houses in Bickershaw, near WiganGetty Images

The locations of 117 illegal waste sites have been revealed on a new national watchlist

Nearly 30 suspected illegal waste "super sites", each containing tens of thousands of tonnes of rubbish, have been identified in a new watchlist of dumps in England.

The list of 117 "high priority" sites, published by the Environment Agency (EA) on Friday, includes 28 so-called "super sites" that contain more than 20,000 tonnes of waste.

The EA said there are about 700 illegal waste sites in total, but it had highlighted ones of a higher priority to "enable residents to see where we are acting".

 Environment Agency.

Huge tips in Wigan and Sheffield - together containing nearly 40,000 tonnes of waste - also feature on the list.

They have been earmarked for possible clearance at the taxpayers' expense as part of the government's waste crime action plan.

But the EA emphasised that it was not generally funded to clear up the other sites identified on the watchlist and only does so in exceptional circumstances.

It said sites chosen for clean-up so far were picked "due to a specific criteria, which includes posing a serious environmental risk and impact on the local community. This was a decision made by the government."

Malcolm Prior/BBC Geoff Howarth standing in front of iron railings, behind which sites the edge of the illegal waste siteMalcolm Prior/BBC

Sheffield business owner Geoff Howarth said the new watchlist gave him "no more faith" that action would be taken

Geoff Howarth, the owner of a business next to the Sheffield site, told the BBC that the new watchlist gave him "no more faith whatsoever" that greater action would be taken.

He added that the agency needed "to step up" and do more to tackle illegal waste and stop criminals from reoffending.

But, he added, that sites should only be cleared up using public money if the land is owned by criminals themselves - and seized and sold off to recoup the cost.

Some of the sites identified - which contain a wide-range of materials, including household waste, construction materials, asbestos and tyres - are tips that are operating without the correct permits.

Others are land, often privately owned and in the countryside, which has been used to dump huge piles of rubbish.

The EA urged members of the public to come forward if they had any concerns or information about the sites named on the watchlist, which it would aim to update every month as part of its ongoing action to track waste sites.

But, it added, the level of detail published in the watchlist would remain limited, with only broad locations and the nature of the sites given, as it did not want to prejudice ongoing investigations and future enforcement action.

Philip Duffy, the EA's chief executive, said waste crime was a "serious blight" on both local communities and the environment.

"Publishing this watchlist is a deliberate act of transparency - communities need to know that we are acting, and we want those committing these crimes to know that we are coming for them," he explained.

"We are using every tool at our disposal to find those responsible and encourage anyone with information to come forward."


Read Entire Article
IDX | INEWS | SINDO | Okezone |